Our recent Carnival Sunrise family cruise adventure was a mixture of fun and mission.
The cruise marked another in the series of Cruise Pack Missions. This is a brainchild idea of Petes Travel Center, allowing people who love to cruise to add a mission thrust to their trip - dubbed "Cruise Pack Mission."
Find Your Perfect Cruise Ship Vacation on Cruise Critic|
What's the #1 hotel in Orlando? Read reviews & find hotel deals on TripAdvisor!
Find today's hotel deals in Miami on TripAdvisor!
Book hotels in New York for as low as $90 with HotelsCombined.com
Find the Best Las Vegas Hotel - Search 100s of Hotel Sites Now - Click here
Our cruise pack mission destination was Ocho Rios, Jamaica. I found an ideal 5-day cruise with Carnival Sunrise, sailing from Ft. Lauderdale to Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands.
At the time of sailing, my boys who are now in college, could not join us but I had a total of fifty guests booked for this cruise.
My family cruise adventure promised to be an extended family affair - including my wife, daughter, mother-in-law, nephews, several friends and guests - with fun and inspiration awaiting us.
Members of Cruise Pack Mission Group to Ocho Rios
As indicated by the title of this page, our chosen ride was the beautiful Carnival Sunrise.
Our family getaway was in February 2020, and the "Sunrise" had recently undergone a multi-million dollar makeover in the previous year. In fact, the ship had experienced so much change that even its name was changed.
The Carnival Triumph was reborn as the Carnival Sunrise in 2019.
I like big and exciting changes. Consequently, I anticipated to bask in the newness of the Sunrise. I was not disappointed. I will share some photos of different spaces aboard the ship for your enjoyment.
The Carnival Sunrise's atrium spans four decks. You'll find Guest Services, Carnival Adventures, Carnival Shops and many other goodies in this area.
The "Sunrise" is one of two main dining rooms on board Carnival Sunrise. There are other specialty restaurants around the ship, eateries plus a buffet offering on the Lido Deck.
The main pool deck is on Lido. Here you'll find two pools, along with the Lido Marketplace (buffet restaurant), a burger joint, pizzeria, hot-tubs and much more.
Carnival Sunrise's Serenity - adult-only area extends to two decks.
Tides Pool - Rear of Lido Deck
Some of the highlights of my cruise were:
1. The Rope Course - Carnival Sunrise, as with many other ships, has a rope course. My first attempt to explore this course was dashed by gusty winds, leading to the course's closure. My second attempt was successful.
2. Guy Fieri Burger Joint - Carnival, in conjunction with the renowned Guy Fieri, offers special burgers onboard its Fun Ships. If you have not tried one, then you should. My favorite is "The Ringer." I believe I had at least four burgers for this 5-day cruise.
3. Main Theater Shows - I will admit that I'm not one for watching skimpily clad performers dancing, prancing and singing. Quite often, I find myself avoiding the evening shows because of a lack of fondness for this type of performance. However, I will say that I found the shows on Carnival Sunrise tasteful and watched more than the usual number of performances on any cruise.
4. My stateroom - We had an oceanview stateroom and I enjoyed how the fixtures were arranged. The room appeared bigger than it was.
5. Buffet Restaurant - I had most of my evening meals in the main dining room, but breakfast and lunch in the buffet restaurant - Lido Marketplace. While the venue was not as large as many I've seen on other ships, the food itself was good.
Sadly, my experience in the main dining was not the best I've had on Carnival cruises.
Our Oceanview Cabin on Deck 2
Jamaica - As I mentioned earlier, this family cruise had a mission component to it and this happened in Ocho Rios, Jamaica.
At that port, forty (40) of us from the group met with thirty (30) students from a local primary school at the world renowned Dunn's River Falls. We treated the students to entrance to the park, gave each child a backpack with school supplies, treated them to lunch and spent some time with them.
This was truly the main highlight of the entire cruise!
Grand Cayman - After devoting our time to the students in Jamaica, we decided to relax in Grand Cayman.
What better way to do this than to visit the immaculately beautiful Seven Mile Beach!
She was as beautiful as ever!
What was even more impressive is the work done at the public beach entrance. The government created a paved parking area for vehicles, a paved walkway to the beach, vendor stalls along the way and amenities for guests on the beach. I loved this!
We spent over an hour in the clear, blue Caribbean Sea and only left so as not to miss our ship.
Tendering to shore in Grand Cayman
My family & I enjoying Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman
If you ask me to rank this family getaway against the many others we taken, it would be a difficult undertaking. This particular cruise vacation made my family's tenth (10th) aboard a Carnival ship.
It was certainly one of our better Carnival cruises.
What I can assure you is that if you're thinking of a cruise getaway, a Carnival Sunrise family cruise adventure will work for your entire group.
At the time of writing this page, Carnival Sunrise is offering cruises out of Ft. Lauderdale. However, note that cruise lines reposition ships based on strategic planning. Consequently, the home-port will change.
Whenever you decide to book, visit PetesTravel.com and search offerings for your own Carnival Sunrise family cruise adventure.